Go directly to request form.
Materials not owned by Parkland College Learning Commons may sometimes be obtained through Interlibrary Loan. Materials are obtained from other libraries around the state and the nation. Parkland Learning Commons reciprocates by lending materials to other libraries throughout the country. Parkland Learning Commons observes local, state, and national Interlibrary Loan standards.
- ILL services are available to current Parkland students, faculty, and staff.
- Special Borrowers are not eligible:
- Parkland Retirees, Parkland Alumni, and Community Borrowers should obtain these materials through their public libraries.
Students must be currently enrolled in Parkland courses.
- Students enrolled in other universities' or colleges' courses held at Parkland College should obtain ILL services through that university's or college's library.
Materials we can request
- We can request almost any book, journal article, video, or music CD. However, keep in mind that many Lending Libraries have policies that restrict loaning or copying their materials.
- Most Interlibrary Loans take between 7 to 14 days. Less than 7 days is not the norm except for articles, which are often emailed.
- Some books are shipped through the U.S. mail via Library Rate which is less expensive but often slow.
- If you have a pressing need for materials, please see a Librarian and she/he may be able to help you identify material which is more readily available.
Placing the Request
- Fill out the proper ILL form and give it to a Librarian. You may be asked to present your library (ID) card.
- You may also make requests by using the online Request Form
- Always check our library catalog or Journal Finder to see if Parkland Learning Commons owns the desired item before making the request.
- You will be notified, usually by e-mail, when your ILL material has arrived.
- If you wish to inquire about the status of your request, please check at the Main Desk or call 217/351-2223.
Picking Up Materials
- Books, AVs and photocopied articles are on hold at the Main Desk.
- Please remember to bring your library (ID) card.
- Books and AVs should be returned to the book return at the Main Desk on or before the due date on the blue or yellow band.
- Failure to return material by the due date could jeopardize future ILL borrowing privileges.
- Photocopied articles are usually yours to keep.
- Due dates for interlibrary loan materials are established by the Lending Libraries.
- The loan period may be as short as one week or as long as a month.
- Please pick up your ILL materials as soon as possible to maximize the length of time that you have your requested item.
- Renewals are at the discretion of the Lending Library.
- You may request renewals at the Desk or you may telephone a request by calling 217/351-2223. Please leave your name, phone number, and the title of the ILL material you would like to renew.
- You will be contacted, usually by e-mail, with the Lending Library's reply to your renewal request.
- Through reciprocal agreements we are able to obtain most materials for free.
- If material cannot be obtained free of charge, Parkland Learning Commons cannot fulfill the request.
- Lost ILL materials, damaged materials, and overdue fines that the Lending Library levies are the responsibility of the borrower.
- These charges will be added to your student record.
- Interlibrary Loan may not be used as a substitute for purchasing the textbooks that you need for your classes.